The new Honda Monkey ABS 2022 is here with a lot of changes as of 2021. While not brand new, there are many important changes to be aware of. There’s a lot about the new ape that will no doubt make you ape, you big gorilla!
- The 2022 Honda Monkey has a completely new engine. The new engine displaces one cubic centimeter less and is even smaller than before. The bore is narrowed by 2.4 mm and the stroke is lengthened by 5.2 mm. The compression has been increased from 9.3: 1 to 10: 1. All of this adds up to an engine that should have significantly more pulling power – always welcome in urban environments when fighting powerful SUVs. The cleanable oil strainer is also gone and there is now a traditional replaceable oil filter.
- There are still similarities between the old engine and the new power unit. The 2022 engine remains a down to earth SOHC two-valve design with air cooling and fuel injection via a 24mm throttle body.
- There is now an extra gear in the gearbox. Honda gave up four-speed, and the 2022 Monkey is now a five-speed with wider gear. The first gear is lower while the new 5th gear is higher than the old 4th gear.
- The chassis has also seen some changes. The wheelbase has been shortened by 1.5 inches, with the lean (25 degrees) and caster (3.2 inches) remaining unchanged. The 32mm inverted fork is unchanged, but the dual shock absorbers now control 4.0 inches of bike travel – an increase of 0.7 inches. In addition, the seat height of the 2022 Monkey is a hair lower and the curb weight has been reduced by five pounds. Anyone who dares to venture into the terrain with the Monkey will find that the 2022 edition has an additional ground clearance of 0.6 inches.
- Recurring functions include electric start, disc brakes – ABS is now standard – and having 12-inch wheels V rubber Tire. Although retro, the Monkey has LED lighting and a round LCD flap.
- There are two new two-tone colors for the monkey. You have the choice between the delicious Banana Yellow and the noble Pearl Black. Both are matched with a matching shade of gray. The new monkey’s tank has a retro 3-D Honda logo.
- The Honda Monkey ABS 2022 is priced the same as the little guy’s previous ABS version – $ 4,199.
We tested the Honda Monkey
2022 Honda Monkey ABS specifications
- Type: Horizontal four-stroke single
- Displacement: 124cc
- Bore x stroke: 50 x 63.1 mm
- Compression ratio: 10.0: 1
- Refueling: EFI with 24mm throttle body
- Cooling: air
- Valve train: SOHC, two valves
- Starting: Electrically
- Transmission: 5-speed
- Clutch: slats wet
- Final drive: chain
- Front suspension; Travel: Non-adjustable 31mm inverted fork; 4.3 in
- Rear suspension; Travel: Non-adjustable shock absorbers; 4.0 in
- Tires: Vee Rubber
- Front tire: 120/80 x 12
- Rear tire: 130/80 x 12
- Front brake: 220mm disc with Nissin caliper
- Rear brake: 190mm disc with Nissin caliper
- ABS: standard
DIMENSIONS and CAPACITIES
- Wheelbase: 45.0 inches
- Rake: 25 degrees
- Track: 3.2 in
- Seat height: 30.5 inches
- Fuel capacity: 1.5 gallons
- Empty weight: 231 pounds
- Colors: Pearl Black; Banana yellow
2022 Honda Monkey ABS Price: $ 4199 MSRP